Christian Small Groups
Unique and Effective Christian Small Group Program
An 8-Session Journey to a More Abundant Spiritual and Physical Life
“Don’t you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and who was given to you by God?
You do not belong to yourselves but to God; he bought you for a price. So use your bodies for God’s glory.”
(1 Corinthians 6:19-20)
The Come Alive! program starts with our relationship with God.
1. Faith is not just a component, but the foundation for positive change in all areas of life.
2. Evidence-based: successful health outcomes of our pilot program validated in a published study of the Centers For Disease Control (See below)
3. Supports wellbeing of the whole person: spirit, body, mind and relationships
4. Integrates spiritual & physical practices applied to the rhythm of your day
5. Enjoy simple practices & new habits, not education & extensive “to do” lists
Giving our lives over to God – spiritually and physically – is a big concept to “digest” and an even bigger challenge to put into action!
We get that.
We all have many “plates” in the air that we’re trying to balance: job, relationships, kids’ activities, staying fit, trying to eat right, caring for extended family, helping at church, getting enough sleep, and spending time with God (which often comes last). And then… an unexpected crisis pops up, like an overflowing toilet, car repairs, sickness, job layoff, or a death in the family.
Life can be overwhelming and exhausting—pulling us in too many directions.
Our culture says to trust our own strength and rely on willpower to keep everything in balance and to project the image of “having it together.” But that’s impossible, and eventually we fail. We resolve to try harder next time or trust that some new gimmick will make a difference. Each time we fail, we lose hope.
Over time, we may even lower our expectations or give up on the hope of having the abundant life Jesus promised in John 10:10: “I have come so that they may have life, and may have it abundantly” (net).
But God never gives up on us.
God has provided His guidance, wisdom, and encouragement in the Bible to help us. Throughout Come Alive! we rely on God’s Word to direct us to a deeper understanding of His plan for us to be in relationship with Christ. Are you ready to discover new perspectives about God and yourself? Are you ready to discover new practices and blend them into the rhythm of your life?
Come Alive! is a unique small group program that connects spiritual & physical well-being.
Christ-centered small groups are an ideal setting to support positive changes in all areas of our life—including our physical well-being.
The familiar small group format makes it simple for any church or Christian organization to include Come Alive! as part of their small group ministry.
Because Come Alive! is delivered in a small group format, at a low cost, it can reach a lot of people. There are an estimated 350,000 churches in America, and most have small groups. This means that your small group can be part of a movement to connect spiritual and physical well-being across our country and around the world!
Come Alive! is a small group program that connects our spiritual and physical health.
In each of the 8 interactive sessions, you’ll discover and practice new ways to…
• Walk with God throughout the rhythm of each day
• Appreciate God’s awesome love for you
• Let God’s love flow through you to others
• Follow proven strategies for what to eat and how to eat
• Move more and take care of your mind & body
How do we know our program is effective?
A study of our church pilot program is published in The Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) Preventing Chronic Disease Journal.
Strong engagement during & after program
- 90% of participants completed the 8-week program
- Nearly ¾ continued to maintain or lose weight in a 10 week follow up
Decreased risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes
- Incidence of Metabolic Syndrome reduced from 44% to 24% of participants
Safe & effective weight loss
- Women & Men lost an average of 1.3 & 1.6 lbs. per week respectively
Enhanced wellness and quality of life
- Reduced Stress
- Improved Emotional Well-being
Three Principles That Make This Program Unique
Come Alive! Principle #1 : Seek God First
Desiring to please God with all my heart
Seek God in the rhythm of each day
- Create time to be alone with God and talk with God throughout the day
- Get ready to let God change you: joyfully welcome new perspectives of God’s plans for you
- Use God’s priorities to shape the rhythm of your day
Come Alive! Principle #2: Love and Be Loved
Accepting God’s love and letting it flow in me and through me
You are God’s Child
- Accepting God’s love for you exactly as you are
- Sharing in Christian relationship: accepting, loving, and holding one another accountable
- Listening: slowing down to truly pay attention and be present with each other
- Learning to play, have fun, and laugh at ourselves
Come Alive! Principle #3: Honor God with My Body
Nurturing and caring for the gift of my body
5 Evidence-based strategies for balanced, healthy living
- Eat Delicious Whole Foods that are naturally high in fiber, phytonutrients and omega-3 fats
- Drink Water throughout your day
- Create a Mindful Approach to Eating
- Move More in ways that get your heart pumping
- Practice an Intentional Rhythm of work, play and rest
Frequently Asked Questions
- When should I get my Participant Guide? It’s best to get the guide at least a few days in advance so you can read the “Warm Up” before the first small group session.
- What should I wear to the sessions? You will be practicing some new activities so wear casual, comfortable clothes so you can move easily. Gym shoes, sport sandals or shoes with little to no heel.
- How many times will the group meet? There are 8 sessions.
- How much time will each session be? 90 minutes, plus an optional group walk after.
- How much time will it take to prepare for each session? 20-30 minutes.
- How many people usually attend a session? It depends on the size of your small group, but usually 6 – 18 people.
- What if I have to miss a session? Bummer for you! Because each session is really fun. But if you must miss a session, read the Warm Up and the session pages for that week to catch up with the group.
- Do people ever meet outside of the session time? Yes, we encourage people to meet to go for walks, exercise, cook together and share fellowship.
- How much does is cost? The Come Alive! Participant Guide is $25.00
- Do I have to buy anything else? Nope.
We all Want to Live Healthier
So why is changing behavior so hard?
- We rely on our own will-power instead of trusting God first.
- The health of our body, mind, spirit & community are intertwined; yet we tend to each separately, if at all.
- We try to change in isolation; when safe support & accountability is needed.
- Education is confused with behavior change. They are radically different.
- Diets are short-term and rarely result in lasting change.
There’s a better way…bring Come Alive! to your small group!
Start by taking the free Program Pre-Assessment. Evaluate your results.
Consider being your group’s facilitator. Click here to learn how.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at your convenience.
Serve the LORD, your God.
“‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.” (Mark 9:23)